McDonald’s coronavirus outbreak fears as staff test positive and restaurant closes
There was a sign at the store today which read: “Sorry, this restaurant is temporarily closed for maintenance. We apologise for any incovenience. Your nearest McDonald’s is located as Castlegate Dudley”.
A spokesman for McDonald’s said: “We have pro-actively decided to temporarily close our Great Bridge restaurant as a precautionary measure following a rise of Covid-19 cases in the local area with five of our employees testing positive.
“We have been in contact with all the restaurant employees and also with Public Health England and the Environmental Health Officer.
“As with all of the decisions we have made across this unprecedented period, the safety of our people and customers is our absolute priority, and we will re-open as soon as we feel we can.”
- Sign up for one of the WalesOnline newsletters
- Get the WalesOnline app for Welsh news and sport tailored for you
The outbreak fears come after a spike in cases across Sandwell - with positive tests running at almost ten times the rate of last month, BirminghamLive reports.
Ninety people have tested positive for Covid-19 in the last seven days, sparking a stark warning from Dr Lisa McNally, Sandwell’s director of public health.
She said the next few weeks were crucial and if cases continued to rapidly rise then Sandwell could be subject to a lockdown.
She said it was “impossible to say” how close the borough was to following in the footsteps of Leicester, adding: “It depends what happens to the infection rate.
“We have had 90 cases in the last week - that’s approaching ten times the rate we saw in June, when rates were very low.
“If it continues to rise at that rate over the next two to three weeks, we will be looking at a full lockdown.
“It is the Government that decides we have reached a level that requires a local lockdown - and rates would have to go higher, but not much higher. It’s a serious situation.”
The warning comes as a further 763 people tested positive for the virus in 24 hours, bringing the overall number of confirmed cases since the start of the pandemic to 301,455.
It is an increase of more than 200 compared to last week, and yesterday 581 new cases were identified.
The latest figures from the Department of Health and Social Care show the deaths of 83 people recorded in all settings in Britain in the last 24 hours.
The Prime Minister is reportedly anxious about a fresh spike with the number of new infections rising again.
Last Wednesday 79 people died, and the daily increase was 85 two weeks ago - meaning the daily number of deaths has not fallen significantly in July.